A short code is a 5 Digit SMS Number on the South African networks that can send and receive SMS’es to and from mobile phones. A short code can either be “shared” between multiple businesses to save cost, or “dedicated” to ONE business.
- Example of a 5 digit SMS number: “45 776”
- A 5 Digit SMS number can be rented indefinitely from SMS South Africa, and billing takes place month to month.
- These 5 digit mobile numbers are compatible across all cellular networks.
- All activity on your short code is tabled in weekly and/or monthly reports and can be download from your SMS account.
5 Digit Short Codes and their Uses
- Respond to a promotion or offer;
- Request more information to be sent to their mobile phone;
- Receive a mobile coupon or discount voucher;
- Register a vote or take part in a poll / survey;
- Register interest for a promotion or event;
- Request a call-back;
- A short-code generally provides access to information and services offerings 24/7 and
- Receive messages as email & download reports.
Dedicated vs Shared Short Codes
Shared Short Code:
A short code shared between businesses because the cost of setting up and maintaining a short code can be expensive.
Dedicated Short Code:
A short code associated solely with one business and used only for that business’s purposes.